Thursday, September 2, 2010
Good morning everyone!! I made this yesterday, my wife and I loved it. Not my first attempt at Roast Beef, but it was for this version. If you make a large batch it will be perfect for left-over’s, and makes great sandwiches. So if you decide to make this on Sunday you will have perfect sandwiches for the kid’s school week. ENJOY
Cilantro Crusted Roast beef with Sautéed Golden Petite Potatoes
Eye of the round roast- 2 ¾ pound
Pine Nuts- ½ cup (toasted)
Cilantro- 2 cups (loosely packed, fresh, chopped)
Garlic- 2 tablespoons (fresh, minced)
Olive Oil- ½ cup
Salt & Pepper- to taste
Blackened Seasoning- 2 tablespoons (optional)
Method to the Madness
1) Pre heat oven to 450. In a food processor; add the pine nuts, cilantro, garlic, and salt & pepper. With the processor running slowly drizzle in the oil. Set aside
2) Place roast in a shallow baking dish and season with the blackened seasoning, rubbing it in. Add the cilantro mix and coat the entire roast.
3) Place the roast in the oven for 20 minutes @ 450, then drop the oven temperature to 350 and cook for another 35-40 minutes or desired doneness. Use a meat thermometer to check doneness 140 will give you medium rare. Let rest for 8-12 minutes before slicing.
Golden Petite Potatoes
Petite potatoes- 2 pounds
Olive oil- 2 tablespoons (enough to coat the pan)
Salt & pepper- to taste
Caramelized onions- 1 cup
1) Add 2 cups of sliced onions to a sauté pan over medium high heat season with salt & pepper and cook for 20 minutes, until dark brown. This will give you a 1 cup yield.
2) Boil potatoes in salted water for 15 minutes, until almost fork tender. Strain; in a large sauté pan add some oil (coat the pan). Add the potatoes, season with salt & pepper and cook for 5 minutes, add caramelized onions and toss well. Cook for another 3 minutes or desired degree of doneness.
• Quick tip on roasting beef, 20 minutes per pound @350 is a good rule of thumb for medium rare.
• Be careful when toasting Pine nuts, they toast really fast.
Posted by Paul Jennette at 6:22 AM