This is our first Chili recipe with more to come, along with other Soups and Stews. Fall and winter bring a food style all of their own. I completely revamped my Chili recipe, so here’s the brand new rendition. Enjoy!
Chili with Goat Cheese Polenta Crouton
Butter- 2 tablespoons
Olive oil- 2 tablespoons
Onion- 2 cups (medium dice)
Green Pepper- 1 ½ cup (medium dice)
Serrano Pepper- ¼ cup (minced)
Chili Beans- 1- 30 ounce can 1- 15 ounce can
Black Beans- 3- 15 ounce cans
Diced Tomatoes- 2- 28 ounce cans
Chorizo- 15 ounces
Italian Sausage- 1 pound
Ground Beef- 1 pound
Chili Powder- 2 tablespoons
Cumin- 1 tablespoon
Coriander- 1 tablespoon
Oregano- 2 teaspoons (dried)
Basil- 2 teaspoons (dried)
Garlic- 2 tablespoons (minced)
Beef Broth- 2 cups
Salt & Pepper- to taste
Sour Cream- to garnish
Chives- to garnish
Method to the Madness
1) In a sauté pan cook off Ground beef, Chorizo, and Italian sausage all separately. Set aside.
2) In a large sauce pot over high heat add butter and oil. Add the onions, and peppers sauté for five minutes or until onions become soft and translucent. Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
3) Add the Tomatoes, and all the beans. Add the seasonings, Beef broth, and all the meats. Mix well. Bring to a boil for 30 seconds. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 2 hours. I simmered for 4 hours.
4) Season with salt & pepper and taste.
Goat Cheese Polenta Croutons
1) Follow instructions on instant Polenta for 1 serving. Add seven ounce of crumbled Goat Cheese, just before its finished mix well. Spread cooked Polenta over a baking sheet, about ¼ inch thick and let cool.
2) With a cookie cutter, cut out Polenta circles and sauté with butter over high heat until golden brown on both sides
3) Top Chili with the Polenta, a dollop of Sour cream and garnish with minced Chives.