Friday, October 22, 2010

Polish Flat Cake


Well today is a guest post, kind of. I’m actually writing the post but the recipe comes from a good friend of mine. Let me introduce you to Nicholas Fron, Nick is a great guy I just meet a few months ago. We worked together at a place call Preservation Bread and Wine… Great place and I still work there, Nick has moved on to a full service Steak House. He knew that he wanted to be a Chef at the age of seven, and started baking with his Mom at the age of ten and never looked back. As of now this guy is a great cook and baker, at the ripe age of twenty five. He attends Culinary School at Elgin Community College, full time and works full time. What can I say he has the cooking bug, and is going to go on to do great things!
A couple of months ago I told him that I started a Food Blog, and was looking for someone to do a guest recipe and he agreed. Unfortunately has taken me that much time to get his recipe posted. The recipe he gave me is for a Polish Flat Cake, which is great seeing that I’m not much of a baker. I enjoy baking I just don’t do it much. So here’s to my first baking post, please enjoy!
Polish Flat Cake
AP Flour- 2 1/3 cups
Baking Powder- 2 ½ teaspoons
Salt- ¾ teaspoon
Sugar- 1 cup- Divided into ¾ and ¼ cup
Light Cream- ¾ cup
Eggs-2 (large)
Baking Apples- 3 (large)
Peaches- 2
Nectarines- 2
Butter- ½ cup (soft)
Butter- 3 tablespoons (cold)
Cloves- ¼ teaspoon
Cinnamon- ¼ teaspoon (optional)
Nutmeg- pinch (optional)
Method to the Madness
1)      Pre-heat oven to 350. Mix flour, baking powder, salt, ¾ cup of sugar. Add ½ cup butter, cream, and eggs, beat for three minutes on medium. Batter will be sticky. While batter is mixing peel & half all fruit, remove pits and slice thin.
2)      Coat a 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray, and spray a cake spatula. Spread a thin of batter layer on the bottom of dish. Layer half of fruit on batter.
3)      Micro plane cinnamon and nutmeg over fruit. Spread another layer of batter, reserving enough dough to dot top of cake. Add remaining fruit, dot with remaining batter.
4)      Cut remaining ¼ cup of sugar, cloves with 3 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle butter on top of cake.
5)      Bake in oven at 350 for 40-50 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool and cut.
6)      Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment