Friday, January 21, 2011

Tacos de Huevos Revueltos a la Mexican~ Mexican Scrambled Egg Tacos


 I’m not sure I told any of you this…but I love breakfast.  By far it is my favorite meal of the day in particular eggs; I would eat them every morning if only the cholesterol meter would let me.  I usually find myself having egg-white omelets or cereal during the week, saving up for a “treat” on the weekends with my wife.  We usually for-go the “rules” one day a week, and that day is almost always Sunday.
This recipe is perfect for those leisurely Sunday mornings.  It took me a total time of around 20-25 minutes, with little clean up.  Two pans one for the eggs, one for warming tortillas, and finally your blender or food processor.  Perfect; I do not like to start the day with a big cleaning project, or for that matter I don’t want to clean anything on Sunday.
Ingredients
Garlic- 3 cloves (peeled)
Serrano chiles- 2 (steamed, cut into 3-4 pieces)
White Onion- 1 medium (medium diced)
Bacon Fat- 2 tbsp (butter, lard, olive oil is all fine)
Eggs- 8Salt- to taste
Cilantro- ½ cup (chopped)
Avocado-1 (cubed, ¼ inch pieces)
Tortillas- 12 (warmed)
Tomatoes- 1 pound (cored, chopped) I did not use tomatoes.
Method to the Madness
1)      With a food processor running, drop in the garlic and chiles one at a time, letting each piece get finely chopped before adding the next. Stop the food processor and add the onion, then pulse until most of the onion pieces are no larger than ¼ inch thick.
2)      Heat the oil (or whatever you are using) in a large skillet (12 inch) over medium heat. Add the onion mixture and cook, stirring regularly, until starting to brown 4-5 minutes. Raise the heat to medium-high add the tomatoes cook, stirring frequently, until all liquid evaporates, about 4 minutes.
3)      While the tomatoes are cooking, crack the eggs in a mixing bowl add a tsp of salt and whisk.
4)      Add the eggs to the skillet and cook, slowly stirring and scraping up the cooked eggs from the bottom of the skillet- until eggs are as done as you like. Scoop them into a serving platter and sprinkle with the cilantro and avocado. Serve them with the warm tortillas and salsa or hot sauce for making soft tacos.
5)      ENJOY!!
P.S. Go Bears!!!!
Recipe courtesy of Rick Bayless's Mexican Everyday
http://www.rickbayless.com/cookbooks/mexicaneveryday.html 





No comments:

Post a Comment