Thursday, December 2, 2010

Kung Pao Chicken


Believe it or not I have never made any Asian food-ever. I can’t believe it myself, it’s one of my favorites I just never gave it a try. And that’s a shame; it’s always delicious and usually comes 30 minutes after I order it.  And yes I’m always hungry about an hour later. I’m not sure why I have waited so long to make the Asian deliciousness, maybe because I make what I know. Usually Italian, American, or what restaurateurs like to call “eclectic American”, or fusion. This to me means a mix of everyone’s best flavors and dishes.
So what did I do first?? Research of course, I mean I know what it’s supposed to taste like, and I have the cooking skills. But I need some ideas, and I don’t have any Asian cookbooks (bummer). So I looked through some of the many magazine subscriptions I’m receiving, and I found a few. But being a man who rarely follows recipes exactly, I found some I was sure I could tweak. The following is the one I enjoyed last night. I found it in Cooking Light magazine, and of course I made changes.
Ingredients
Dark Sesame oil- 2 tbsp
Onion- 1 cup (sliced)
Yellow pepper- 1 cup (sliced)
Red Pepper- 1 cup (sliced)
Snow peas- 1 ½ cup
Garlic- 2 tbsp (minced)
Chicken broth- 1 ½ cup
Soy sauce- 6 tbsp (feel free to use low sodium, I did)
Brown sugar- 2 tsp
Cornstarch- 4 tsp
Crushed red pepper- 1 tsp
Chicken- 1 ½ pounds (thighs)
Peanuts- 4 tbsp (unsalted, to garnish)
Method to the Madness
1)      Heat the Sesame oil in a large sauté pan or wok. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes or until translucent, add the garlic and cook for another 30-40 seconds. Add the chicken and cook until brown on all sides.
2)      In a mixing bowl add the chicken stock, crushed red peppers, brown sugar, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Mix well until sugar dissolves. Add the mix to the pan and bring to a boil. Add the peppers and the snow peas. Cook for 4-6 minutes until sauce begins to thicken, and the veggies are cooked but still crisp. Plate and sprinkle with the peanuts.
3)      ENJOY!!!

   

2 comments:

  1. Looks good - if you are looking for Asian inspiration wander through some of the blogs linked at the side of my site - and then wander further through others linked on their sites - you will find some amazing Asian dishes. Suggest Almost Bourdin - then wander from her site. She is Malaysian and often makes some amazing dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cate!! I know I follow Almost Bourdin on twitter, I'll sign up for email alerts.

    ReplyDelete