Friday, December 10, 2010

Pork Marengo with Creamy Gruyere Polenta


I have a confession to make; I’m in love with polenta! What can I say it really is incredible. Now I have had and made polenta many times in the past and I really never thought anything of it…but all that has changed. In my recent endeavors on my blog I have made it three times so far (today is #4), I’m in love. Subtle textures, warm and creamy flavors that delight the palate. And oh so simple to make and enjoy.
I found a recipe for chicken Marengo with lemon-pepper polenta in Cuisine at home, and after tweaking it. I came up with this recipe it’s really simple with a 20 minute cooking time. I only used to pans and it was quite delightful.
Ingredients
Flour- ¼ cup
Salt- 1 tsp
Pepper- 1 tsp
Blackened seasoning- 1 tsp
Pork loin- 1 pound (diced into bite sizes)
Bacon- 6 ounces (diced)
Olive oil- ¼ cup
Onion- 1 cup (sliced)
Garlic- 1 tbsp (minced)
Thyme- 1 tsp
White wine- ¾ cup
Diced tomatoes- 1 (14.5 ounce can)
Chicken broth- 1 cup
Olives- ¼ cup (sliced)
Parsley- 2 tbsp (chopped for garnish)
 





Method to the Madness
1)      In a large zip-lock bag add the flour, salt, pepper, and blackening seasoning mix well. Add the pork and mix again thoroughly coating, set aside.
2)      In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat sauté bacon until crisp. Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate. Set aside. In the same pan add the pork and brown on all sides, remove set aside.
    3)     In the same pan add the onion and sauté until soft add the thyme and garlic cook for 30 seconds. Add the wine and deglaze don’t forget those brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Reduce until all liquid evaporates.
4)      Add the broth, tomatoes, and olives bring to a boil and add the pork and bacon with all their juices. Reduce heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes- sauce will thicken.
5)      Serve over a heaping pile of the polenta. Garnish with the parsley.
6)      ENJOY!!
Ingredients for the polenta
Milk- 2 cups
Chicken broth- 1 ½ cups
Instant polenta- 1 cup
Gruyere Cheese- 5 ounces (shredded)
Salt & White pepper- to taste
Method
1)      In a sauce pot bring to a boil the milk and 1 cup of the chicken broth. Add the polenta, reduce heat to medium and stir for 5 minutes. Add the Gruyere and mix well, add the rest of the chicken broth.

    

2 comments:

  1. I love polenta - however it is summer here so polenta recipes will have to wait al little for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fabulous! I am bookmarking this page :)

    ReplyDelete