Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Roasted Brussels sprouts with Cranberries and Vanilla Hazelnut Butter


Yum… Brussels sprouts. Not really, I have to admit that I really haven’t cared for them in a long time nor have I had them in year’s decades. But it seems to me that they are very popular this year. I’ve see the little buggers on a lot of cooking shows and blogs. So as a result I thought I would give them a go…what did I have to lose? I’m an adult now, and you’re supposed to like all foods at this stage of the game – right?? Well surprise, surprise, I really liked them!!
I started the process by gathering ten different recipes and started doing a little mixing and matching. I think I might have created some of the greatest Brussels sprouts in history…at least in my mind. I made them for a little gathering I had on Monday night, (8 people) and much to my delight the serving platter was empty. All gone - I couldn’t believe it, not one sprout left!! Empty plates and platters are always the best sign of how good a dish is.
Ingredients
Brussels sprouts- 2 pounds
Salt- ½ tbsp
Pepper- 1 tbsp
Mango syrup- 4 tbsp
Cranberries- ¾ cup (dried, marinated in pomegranate)
Olive oil- 3 tbsp
Butter- 4 tbsp
Vanilla- 1 tbsp (extract)
Hazelnuts- 1 cup (toasted)
Lime- 1 (zest)
Orange- 1 (zest + the juice)
Method to the Madness
1)      Preheat the oven to 375.Bring the butter to room temp, mix with the vanilla and hazelnuts refrigerate.
2)      In a large mixing bowl add the sprouts, oil, salt and pepper mix well. Add to a medium sized baking pan. Roast in an oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Take the pan out of the oven add the cranberries and the mango syrup, mix well. Return to the oven for another 10-12 minutes. Cooking until tender.
3)      Remove them from the oven and toss with the hazelnut butter, lime & orange zest and juice. Place them on your favorite holiday platter.
4)      ENJOY!!!
  


No comments:

Post a Comment