Well I hope everyone had a wonderful Holiday and is ready for the New Year!! Today I’m giving you a very versatile recipe. Crab cakes and Crab in Phyllo cups, both can be served hot and the Crab in Phyllo can be served cold. Both can be made hours ahead of time and be reheated in the oven.
Ingredients for the Cakes
Crab meat - 2 pounds (lump)
Cilantro - 3 tbsp (chopped) + 2 tbsp for garnish
Bread crumbs - 2 cups (seasoned with a tsp of each salt & pepper)
Dijon mustard - 1 tbsp
Mayo - 1 cup
White pepper - 1 tbsp
Green pepper - ½ cup (minced for garnish)
Phyllo cups- 30 (store bought)
Method to the Madness
1) In a large mixing bowl add the mayo, Dijon, cilantro, and white pepper and mix well. Add the crab meat and carefully fold it in, breaking it up as little as possible. On a separate plate spread out the bread crumbs.
2) Shape the crab meat into 5 ounce cakes (think burgers). Lightly bread each side of the cakes, coating evenly. Refrigerate the breaded cakes for at least 1 hour – over night would be even better.
3) Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Sauté the cakes until golden brown on both sides. You can do this ahead of time and just reheat in an oven set @ 375 for 8-10 minutes.
Ingredients for the Wasabi Aioli
Mayo - 2 cups
Wasabi paste - 1 tube = 2 tbsp
Rice Wine Vinegar - ¼ cup
White pepper - 1 tsp
1) In a mixing bowl add all the ingredients and combine. Add to a squeeze bottle or a zip-lock bag. Refrigerate until ready for use.
2) When ready for service, drizzle the aioli over the cake in a criss-cross pattern. If you are using a zip-lock bag just snip a corner and use it like a pastry bag.
· If you are doing the Crab in Phyllo cups, don’t use the bread crumbs. Serve cold or heat in an oven set @ 375 for 8-10 minutes.